Monday, November 29, 2010

Photo Per Day #29: Geneva, NY

Today, I drove to a client in Northern PA and back but rather than heading down the less scenic 390, the hubby talked me into taking Route 14 which is also, unbeknown to me, faster. Duh. So I headed to Geneva and instead of going to my brother-in-law's cottage, I drove along the other side of the lake and saw those familiar sights from a new angle. The road-side of the inns directly across the lake from the cottage: Geneva on the Lake and Belhurst Castle. I now want to stay at both and wave to my sis from my upscale vantage point. So beautiful!

Anyhoo, instead of taking pictures of the cute little town of Watkins Glen or of the gazillion vineyards dotting the landscape (or even of the one, lone boater), I fell in love with the town (city?) of Geneva for the first time ever. Crime-riddled, decay-filled Geneva, NY with its boarded up storefronts is chock full of gorgeous architecture. Mansions dotting the lakefront. The lake itself. The whole package. I now personally want to restore the area to its former glory. A Geneva revival sans gunfights, welfare and crack whores. Could happen, right?

And I want to live here: smack dab in the middle of town with Christmas decorations on the lampposts and views of the lake from my backyard.

2 comments:

KevinOn7 said...

What makes you think its former glory doesn't involve gunfights, welfare and crack whores?

Pranayama mama said...

Did they have crack whores in the 1790s? Hey, I just checked wiki. "The village was abandoned following its destruction by the punitive Sullivan Expedition of 1779." In other words, it's all mom's fault.