Saturday, November 6, 2010

Photo Per Day #6: Acupuncture

I went to see one of my favorite women on the planet at 8:00 a.m. this morning: my acupuncturist, Deeanne Bevin. Today we talked about the usual stuff: health, work, stress, politics, faith, family and pooping.

Grannie gave me a highly desired gift certificate to an acupuncture session in a professional practice in an office building a few years ago. I was sooooooo excited! There was a menu of choices on the wall from which I could select (weight loss, smoking cessation, balance, etc.) I was told to take my clothes off and lie down on a cold hospital cot. The doctor then rapidly proceeded to stick tens of needles up and down my body with what looked and felt like a staple gun. He left my voodoo doll body to lie there freezing to death.

When I told Robert, my hair stylist, about this well intentioned but god-awful experience, he referred me to Deeanne. I now understand firsthand the difference in treatment styles. Night and day. Deeanne's practice is in a cozy little home. It's well lit and surrounded by trees and birds. It's also warm inside and the beds are heated. Most importantly, she knows eastern medicine inside and out. Unlike my first experience, it's both professional and personal. Chatting, examining my tongue, taking my pulse. And gently (for the most part!) hand placing needles in a few select areas of my body. I then relax (covered!), in a warm bed, while listening to beautiful music.

It's a great, great feeling to start the day back in bed . . . 


And stretch!

No comments: