Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Photo Per Day #10: Lucky

Last night, the lovely Heather G. and I met after work at black and blue for dirty martinis (mine had Tabasco and an oyster! yum.) and ribeye (rare!) with Gorgonzola sauce. Absolutely delicious. Who else was there you may ask? A client of mine who was having dinner with none other than Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Fame in our midst! While that would have made for a fabulous Photo Per Day entry, I decided not to be that intrusive. I'm much too composed for that . . .

Afterward, we walked over to see a free, test screening of the movie Lucky which is playing for two nights only. Our friend Chris, the Executive Producer, and Avie Luthra, Director, were on hand to field questions after the film and gather input regarding what worked/what didn't work. For me, the pace of the movie was a bit slow at times and, because the soundtrack hasn't yet been laid, the depth of emotions typically evoked by music were missing. With that said, however, I think it is one of those films that may haunt me for a while. It is based on a short subject film that won 43 international film festival awards in 2007. It follows a ten year old orphan as he makes his way in South Africa and deals with race-related strife, poverty, dishonesty and other issues. Pretty intense subject matter but the approach was not too heavy handed. I honestly cannot wait to see it again after the final edits have been made and the soundtrack has been added. And I hope it does well. It was receiving great feedback last night.

In un-lucky news, one thing this Photo Per Day exercise is highlighting is my complete inability to take a good picture as evidenced by the photo below. With a dose of mild irony, the subject of this dark image, smiling and proudly displaying her buttered popcorn, works at the George Eastman House -- home of one of the greatest collections of photographs in the world. Somehow methinks this photo will never be in that esteemed collection. But note Lucky on the marquee behind her! How much fun would it be to see your name in lights?






I feel lucky, oh oh oh, I feel lucky, yeah

Hey Dwight, hey Lyle, boys, you don't have to fight
Hot dog, I'm feeling lucky tonight

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying your photos!! Keep going at it.

Pranayama mama said...

thanks!