Thursday, November 11, 2010

Photo Per Day #11: Pool

This is how I start my day. Not every day but many. Usually I have the pool to myself. Today I shared it with a tiny woman who looked to be in her early 80s. At 5:30 a.m., she was already doing laps. When I entered the steam room at 6:30 a.m., she was in there, lying on the tiled bench, stark naked. (Another missed Photo Per Day opportunity. Too steamy. Ha.) She was facing the wall with her back/butt facing me. I wondered if I will be that carefree when I'm her age. For now, I'll keep my swimsuit on. It's in everyone's best interests.



Usually when I do laps, I meditate on the Lord's Prayer. I recite a single verse per lap and I focus on either a single word or an entire phrase. "Our Father. Our Father. Our. Not just mine but all of ours." I sometimes throw in a few Hail Marys for good measure because I think Mary is pretty awesome.

When I'm done, I float in a swimmer's savasana of sorts and relax. Today, after prayer, while floating like a bloated corpse, my brain was flooded with an old Squeeze song from when I was in college. While I don't think the writers intended it for God-like purposes, it really amazed me.

Take me I'm yours for dreams are made of this. Forever there'll be a heaven in your kiss.

No comments: