Monday, December 3, 2007

Shabby Cheek

If anyone clicked over to the World RPS Society and is as geeky as I am, you may have noticed their tag line, "Serving the needs of decision makers since 1918." So awesome. They take the essence of a typical, hokey tag and use it to poke even more fun at themselves. (At, least that’s what I think, and hope, that they’re doing!)

In a similar vein, one of my neighbors worked at an ad agency that employed the tag line, "Serving you since April 15." Who needs to promote longevity when you have creative license? Especially in this day and age when people care less about how long you’ve been in business than if you can get the job done.

Most companies have no idea how invaluable a strong tag line can be and instead of saying “the quicker-picker-upper” or “feel the rainbow; taste the rainbow” say something like the following: Your widget maker since 1969.

Better yet, when the competition gets strong, they add the term “preferred” to widget maker or stick “partner” somewhere in their lackluster mess. Hmmm, that’ll solve everything. Please, remind me, why should I be doing business with you? Wait, I have an idea. Instead of telling me what you do, go ahead, tell me what you’re going to do for me.

Which leads me to Target’s new campaign: fabuless. Yeah, I get it. I can get fabulous stuff for less money. But, really, as much as I love Target (and I do) it almost states the opposite (less-than-fabulous) to me. Who needs Manolo Blahniks when you can get Mossimo faux-leather boots with synthetic outsoles? Who needs 1000 thread count sheets when you can get the ever-so-snuggly, polyester “bed in a bag”?

But for most of America, myself included, paying top dollar for Jimmy Choo shoes would be overkill. Who is going to see me? Or care? There is no Sex and the City crowd here. Moving here in 2001 meant that I no longer needed the Kate Spade diaper bag or Maclaren Volo stroller.

The comedian Daniel Tosh put it well in a recent comedy show. Quipping about people who can't afford a $600,000, two-bedroom townhouse in California, he said something like, “Move east. That's what the middle of the country is for -- people who gave up on their dreams.”

Ouch! But funny nonetheless.

Off I go in my fashion forward Isaac Mizrahi ribbed turtleneck . . .

3 comments:

KevinOn7 said...

1000 tread count sheets? Are they steel belted? Sounds like an absolutely painful night of slumber. You must get really tire-d... (pun intended)

Pranayama mama said...

Ohhh, a typo (now corrected). At first I was wondering, "Wow, what a social boor. In what cold, sad, tattered-sheet-riddled household was he raised?"

Melanie K said...

I thought of it as "less fabulous, too. But when I was at Nordstrom's children's shoes department (aka: home-of-200-dollar-Buggly-boots-for-kids), Target's $20 fake uggs look pretty fabulous by comparison. Well, as fabulous as the real B/F-Uggs could look.