Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Dreaming of a White Christmas

I love Christmas trees adorned with white lights. In fact, I like anything with white lights. Patios in the summertime draped with white lights. Restaurants aglow with candles and white tea lights.

But I cannot have my own tree lit with white lights . . .

I'll never forget the holiday season almost 20 years ago when my mom first bought her own little house she decided to forgo tradition and decorate with white lights, bows, and minimal ornaments. My grandfather then came to visit for the holidays from NYC, stepped inside our new house and grumbled, "What the hell is this? It looks like we live in a goddamn shopping mall."

Yes Grandpa, my tree in all of its colorful majesty and mismatched ornaments will forever be an annual tribute to you.

No comments: