Thursday, December 20, 2007

Christmas "Songs"

Years ago, when I worked as a consultant for a small agency in White Plains NY, we had our holiday party aboard the World Yacht circling Manhattan. On this evening, we all received the final gifts from our Secret Santas and I was pretty pumped because mine had been showering me with fantabulous gifts all month.

I received a Mannheim Steamroller Christmas CD.

I almost feel I could end this post right here except that there are people out there who consider Mannheim Steamroller "music." I'm not one of them. Honestly, I couldn't even make out the tunes of the otherwise famous songs which, when rendered by other "artists," are legible, singable, whistleable, etc.

So I wrapped it nicely and kindly sent it to my brother who fondly re-gifted it back to me the following Christmas with fake, yet compelling, cover art, "Tim and Leigh's favorite songs of the year." Wow. A huge letdown two years running.

I still have this CD just waiting to be unleashed on some poor, unsuspecting loser who secretly loves grand crescendos/raucous elevator music/awful electronica mayhem/polluting noise (a.k.a. total CRAP).

It reminds me of the musical version of our agency's fax machine at the time -- which our boss' hysterical executive admin threw in the dumpster in the parking lot one day with a big sign stating, "piece of sh*t."

Anyhoo, it's the thought that counts, right? I just wonder what the thought was . . .

Lastly, for anyone who noticed my excessive use of "quotation marks," please refer to this site which I now love.

No comments: