Friday, December 7, 2007

Disruptive Innovations

My boss and I are working with a large, international firm to augment their product ideation and commercialization process. As a result, I have been researching and pouring through myriad best practice documents today to update our library, tools and methodology and ensure we have highly effective practices to leverage on their behalf.

While a number of the documents published contain interesting insights, many simply remind me of Dilbert.

Dogbert Consults: "To survive, you must create disruptive innovations that redefine the market."

Dilbert: "Does that mean the same thing as 'sell things that people want'?"

Which, in a round about way, reminds me of the interview that secured my internship at Xerox during grad school. The posting literally said, "Must be able to interfere across all levels of the organization" instead of "interface." If they noticed the typo at all, most students, for good reason, chose to ignore that bulleted line item. I decided to play it up. "I think you should know, I can interfere in many different areas and be as disruptive as you need."

No sense in being blinded by the obvious.

2 comments:

KevinOn7 said...

Reminds me of a presentation at the big bank I worked for years ago. One of the main slides referred to not the War For Talent but the War On Talent. That just about summed up the entire working relationship right there...

Pranayama mama said...

Wow, a War on Talent and I never worked there? Something's not right.