Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Peace Like a River

A beautiful friend from when I was younger died yesterday at the age of 44. I don't want to wax on about her -- even though I could fill countless paragraphs and the words would flow easily -- because she's far too deserving for a footnote in a goofy blog about nothing.

Although I am not one to discount the value of friendship in general, it does make me think even harder about how blessed I am. I can count my mom and sister as tried-and-true girlfriends along with the girls who I grew up with and 40+ years later still hang out with as often as possible. Just this week, manicures, wine and dinner on Monday night (an early "happy birthday" for me) and back-to-back-to-back haircuts last night. I have crazy friends from high school who I get to see throughout the year, fabulous friends from college and grad school who gather together every couple of years (and email heaps in between), close friends from my days in NYC and DC who travel more than 1X/year to visit (and vice versa), awesome neighbors who I relax with every weekend, the Kismet girls from church (so named because we all connected so readily), my soulful but funny bible study girlfriends, and distant friends/cousins/sister-in-laws who I love and never see but some email frequently as if we were living next door to one another. It bears repeating: I am truly blessed.

But Mary's death made me think harder about the friends who I spent heaps of time with and loved dearly in a different period of my life but with whom I rarely connect any more. Some of these people simply drifted from my life, one or two passed away and others cut the ties in more meaningful (and sometimes painful) ways. Regardless of the way in which the friendships ended, they were all amazing while they lasted and for this I am deeply thankful.

So, although I cried rivers yesterday and will probably do the same tonight at the funeral home, I am even more grateful to be living a life filled with friends, laughter and love. And I'm soooo glad that my gorgeous friend Sallie, who has been in my life forever but who I rarely get to see, is planning to come with me. As always, we're going to need each other.

To quote the old hymn, penned by Horatio Spafford after his three daughters died while crossing the Atlantic, "It is well with my soul."

When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

No comments: