Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Polyester Bride

My girlfriend Katherine used the following expression when talking about her love of George Clooney, “He would look so good on me.” True. He would look good on all of us – not at the same time, mind you. During that same conversation another girlfriend, Christine, claimed Matthew McConaughey as her own. Yep, he’s hot alright.

In this fictitious world we were living in (i.e., the one where we could date famous men), I couldn’t figure out who I wanted. Most stars are too good looking whereas I like intelligent and quirky. Tom Cruise is a one-man freak parade. Brad Pitt is way too cool and cannot be trusted. I was mulling over the benefits of Jon Stewart v. Paul Rudd – both cute and funny – when I realized that, the love of my life has been in front of me all along: John Cusack. My husband knows this but, somehow, I had overlooked him. Over the weekend, after watching “Must Love Dogs” for the umpteen time, which my husband taped for me for obvious reasons, it finally dawned on me that I should claim him after I repeatedly said to my children, “I’m in love with that man.”

Hot and talented -- presumably with good taste in music (can a man be judged by the soundtracks of the films he’s in or the Ramones t-shirts he wears when in character?), he’s sooooooo mine. And he has the world’s best bonus: a fabulous sister who may be even cooler than he is. Holidays would never be the same! I wonder if he likes unfamous, married, suburban, 40-something housewives with children . . .

7 comments:

Melanie K said...

me likee clive owen, daniel craig and toby stevens. what can i say: i have a thing for rugged-ish englishmen. wait--do i have to choose just one??

and it has to be said: imho, matthew mcconaughey is a bit on the skank-side. but that just means one less person trying to swipe him, christine!

DarkWing said...

Good choice ;)

Pranayama mama said...

okay, i live under a rock. i had to google/imdb every single one of them. good news: they are all yours!

Melanie K said...

woowoo! see--I like smart along with handsome . . .

Melanie K said...

btw: i think that Polyester Bride would be a fab name for a book :)

Pranayama mama said...

you're right. it's a great liz phair song, do you know it? about a woman who asks her bartender if she should "bother dating unfamous men."

P Domino D said...

you're all clearly overlooking the obvious... stephen colbert.