Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween!

I went to my girlfriend's house last night for our new tradition: a pumpkin martini. Vanilla vodka, brandy, pumpkin pie spice mix (from a can), cream (whipped or otherwise) and a dusting of nutmeg. Yum!

I had one last year at a cute little cafe on Park Ave., Cibon, that was soooooooo good I couldn't get it out of my head but they haven't had it on the menu since. Believe me, I know. We've gone back twice (once last fall and again last week) and I've now resorted to calling beforehand. No such luck.

And, although it is the last day in October, it is gorgeous Indian Summer day today -- perfect for Trick or Treating. With only one exception, it has been warm on Halloween every year since we moved to Rochester. That's four warm Halloweens in a row. So I get to go door-to-door with Darth Vadar and Jack Sparrow while the hubby entertains all of the kids who come to our house. I'll cash my chips in and man the door next year when it has to be cold, right?!

Which, on an somewhat related note, brings me to the following. I don't remember a single costume I ever wore on Halloween (as a kid) nor do I think there are pictures of any. I may have gone as a member of Kiss once; I vaguely remember my face feeling super itchy one horrible night. But I do remember, as clear as if it were yesterday, my same pumpkin-martini-pouring-girlfriend going one year, when we were really little, as a ghost. Yep, the white sheet with two eyes cut out. Why is this image so clear? Because as we ran between houses in the dark, she continued to trip on her sheet and fall down -- all night long.

Not sure it was ever funny to her but almost 40 years later (yikes), it's still funny to me!

No comments: