Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Your Love is Better than Wine

As someone who loves, loves, loves music, it's taken me quite a while to get into Christian music. Since I recognize that what I fill my mind with is critical, over a year ago I started to listen to positive, encouraging K-LOVE. (Yes, they preface their call sign with their tag line. I think all two of my readers know how I feel about that. Hi mom!)

I now love worshiping in my car and even know many of the songs/artists at this point which makes singing along that much easier. But . . .

Whenever I hear a song that I dislike and change the station, I am immediately reminded by non-Christian radio stations how much better mainstream music is. While I really like the Revelation Song, Phillips Craig & Dean simply can't hold a candle to Radiohead. As such, I'm thinking they, and other Christian bands, hold limited appeal to a larger audience.

So here's what I propose: Give select portions of the Bible to well known and/or infinitely cooler bands who have a talent for soulful pop tunes and ask them to write and perform their own songs based on the lyrics. They don't have to be believers; they simply have to enjoy a good challenge. My recommended bands would include, but not be limited to, the following -- not because they're my favorites (not all of them, at least) but because I think they could do a bang-up job.
  • Sonic Youth
  • Liz Phair
  • Matthew Sweet
  • Beck
  • Counting Crows
  • Jakob Dylan/The Wallflowers
  • Sheryl Crow
  • Radiohead
  • Cracker
  • Wilco
  • David Bowie (of course)
Based on their rendition of The Carpenters' Superstar, I honestly think Sonic Youth could do an amazing, languish-filled lamentation taken directly from the Psalms and generate a big hit.



While not even a remotely Christian song, I wonder if Stephen "Tin Tin" Duffy was quoting the Song of Solomon 1:2 when he rose to fame with Kiss Me back in the day?



See, it could happen.

3 comments:

KevinOn7 said...

I'm partial to Jello Biafra and Mojo Nixon's "Are You Drinking with Me, Jesus?"

uncle wally said...

personally, i'll take track 14 from the "Trouble In Mind" album found here - http://www.hayescarll.com/#/music.aspx

Pranayama mama said...

I'm a fan of King Missile's "Jesus was Way Cool."