Friday, October 16, 2009

Etiquette Smetiquette

My coworker and I are in the midst of scheduling conference calls with a number of international Olympiads. (Don't ask.)

My first two calls yesterday, just to get on their calendars, went something like this:
1) I can't talk right now; I'm in the middle of a competition (voice: agitated)
2) I can't talk right now; I'm in the middle of a clinic (voice: whispering)

I asked Jennifer, "Why are these people even answering their phones? Don't they use voice mail?"

Immediately thereafter, she called a guy who said, "Can you call me back later? I'm in the men's room." Then he continued to talk to her for a few minutes.

Has the world gone crazy? I have no problem bringing the phone into the bathroom when I'm chatting with my girlfriends (!) but I don't typically answer it when I'm performing in front of a panel of judges. My medals are too important to me.

No comments: