Friday, October 9, 2009

Reaching New Audiences

One of my favorite local radio stations is WBER: the only station that matters. (As tag lines go, it's a bit too pompous and aggrandizing but, hey, a minor issue.) The station is on my preset which allows me to quickly scan to other great stations at the far left of the dial if needed, namely WITR and WRUR. The DJs fully engage their audience members, have heaps of CD and concert giveaways, play the Beasties every Friday at 8:00 a.m. and continually seek feedback on what should be played on air through their Prospect Song of the Week. (Aside: a bunch of songs that failed in years past are on my iPod. What does that say about my taste in music? Either it's awful or . . . I can just pretend that I am, or was, avant-garde. Let's just go with the latter. See below for substantiation/rebuttal.)

Anyhoo, one thing that keeps grabbing me lately is an ad that they're running for the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra. It's skillfully written to draw in what might, on the surface, appear to be divergent audiences (i.e., classical music vs. The Chemical Brothers). The copy, however, draws the connection, "sharing WBER's love for live music." And the closing line negates any preconceived notions that listeners may have about the RPO, "No suit required." I'm loving the RPO marketing folks that decided to pitch their brand, and become a "proud sponsor of," an alternative music station!

So, three "oldies" that have been rejected by listeners but I still love are below. Come on people, you gotta agree: these are great songs, right??






No comments: