Friday, January 8, 2010

Pray Like Hell

Last night I went out to dinner at Good Luck with a old friend from NYC who was in town on business. Very, very nice to see him.

A few hot toddies later, I was at home, fast asleep, when I received a call from my coworker Jennifer. Apparently my boss had missed her connecting flight to the Roch and had taken a flight to Syracuse. If she arrived before midnight, there would be a rental car waiting. If not, she would be SOL.

As the quintessential enabler, with a direct view of the tremendous stress my boss is under, I offered to pick her up. Thankfully, my husband steadfastly refused because a) I would be driving during the wee hours of the morning when my body is more accustomed to sleeping, b) the snow/road conditions were not optimal and c) uh, I had been drinking! Hello.

This morning Jennifer was (kindly) blaming my boss' dependency on me. "If you didn't cater to her every whim, she wouldn't expect it." Alas, she's right. So in honor of my codependency and the "year in miracles," I penned the following and have vowed to pray it every morning at my desk.

* * * * *

Dear Lord,

Thank you for the innumerable blessings you have provided us.

Please guide us today and every day so that we may:
  • Do your will
  • Serve you, each other and our clients to the highest degree possible
  • Honor you and each other in all that we do
  • Respect/value one another’s opinions, skills and capabilities
  • Live our lives with the utmost integrity
  • Maintain a healthy work/life balance and boundaries
  • Watch your miracles unfold before our very eyes
  • Have heaps of fun!

We love you! Amen.
 

2 comments:

Citygirl said...

Fantastic! Great list and always good role modeling for the kids!

Pranayama mama said...

Thanks! Nothing like the booze & prayer role model combo :)