Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Calling All Morons

I get annoyed every time I hear the line "If she can do it, anyone can do it!" at the end of the Everest commercials. I'm trying to figure out who is insulted more: the presumed idiot that somehow made it through their illustrious program or the program itself.

I can just picture their crack marketing team in an intense (a.k.a. completely fictitious) meeting with the admissions department.

"Our numbers are down year-over-year and we need to increase enrollment significantly. Can you help us put together a winning ad campaign that will drive results?"

"Sure, just give us a demographic/psychographic profile of the typical student and we'll do the rest."

"That's easy. Target anyone who doesn't think she has a rat's chance in hell of success and convince her that our program will radically improve her life and land her the high-paying dream job as a Certified Medical Assistant."

"How?"

"By coupling her with a mentor who cares."

"No, I mean in what alternate universe does Medical Assisting pay well?"

"Oh, gotcha. Yeah, picture a teen mother on welfare. Does that help?"

"But won't it cost these kids significantly more than a two-year degree at a local community college?"

"We're trying to get these morons to enroll; not educate them on what constitutes a wise investment."

"Done and done."

(Note: As my mom rightfully pointed out, I'm sure Everest has really helped people to better their lives. I just think that line in their advertising is horribly insulting.)

No comments: