Tuesday, January 5, 2010

2010: The Year I Began to Believe in Miracles

I decided recently that I don't believe in miracles enough. Sure, I read about the big ones, like raising people from the dead, in the Bible and hear about more current phenomena through friends (e.g., an acquaintance's miraculous healing from stage IV cancer) but I haven't really allowed myself to believe that they can happen to me. So I decided to dedicate 2010 to the art of discerning the real miracles that occur in my everyday life.

The first book I read this year, Either You're In or You're In the Way, was the perfect backdrop to this mission. As it states on the Miller Brothers' website, it's "the amazing story of how--without a dime to their names nor a single meaningful contact in Hollywood--they (identical twin brothers) managed to write, produce, act, and direct a feature film in under a year starring four-time Academy Award-nominated actor Ed Harris and a cast and crew with 11 Academy Awards and 26 nominations."

It's a well written account not only of how their dedicated effort, hard work, long nights, constant struggle/worry, etc. paid off but, more importantly, how the universe conspired to bring them the right people (e.g., actors, financiers, door openers) to help them make their dreams come true. It is truly inspirational,  highly motivational and basically unreal. It is not by any stretch of the imagination a book about religion, faith and belief but, because I am who I am, I read it and thought, "God is amazing."

Now I simply need to gain a broader understanding of the role that God plays in my life and to be more thankful for his presence. Oh, and securing a role with Ed Harris would be fabulous.

Bring it on 2010!

1 comment:

Citygirl said...

Expect a miracle and you get one! I am going to get this book you read. They should give you some royalties or a fee for the review :) Now, you have some new stories coming up....all of the blessings you receive. Can't wait to hear more!