Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy 2010

After pulling my first all nighter in years (for work lest you think otherwise), I stayed up past midnight again last night (crazy, I tell ya!) ringing in the new year at home with my family and our neighbors. We played "Truth or Dare" with challenges that the kids made up and emceed like we were on a game show, and then the adults played a fun little board game called Loaded Questions. Generally benign questions like "what are you grateful not to be doing right now?" elicited written responses ranging from "work" to "shi&#ing my pants" or "paying attention" and whoever's turn it was had to guess which player had written each golden nugget. You learn a lot about people when drinking sangria and playing board games, I've discovered. Or maybe they learned a lot about me. The dad from across the street kept editing my responses when he had to read them. "I didn't write 'concubine,' I wrote, 'ho.' There's a difference."

For someone who hates the typical forced conviviality of New Year's Eve, I haven't laughed so hard in ages. If it's any indicator, 2010 should be a magical (and seriously off-color) year.

No comments: