Monday, July 20, 2009

Wilco Will Love You Baby

Would it be weird to plan future family vacations around Wilco tour dates?

Three little words. Four syllables. Best show ever.

Such a gorgeous night for an outdoor concert at Artpark in Lewiston. Powerful sound. Soulful lyrics. Groovy beats with discordant sound. Poetic. Energetic. From entering the stage to the Price is Right theme song to shouting out to the lawn, "We mean your people no harm," Jeff Tweedy is hilarious. The music and Wilco performance was nothing short of phenomenal.

As an added bonus, Conor Oberst opened the show. Had I checked the tickets before entering the gate, I would have known prior. Instead I was really, really happy as Bright Eyes played the Main Street Armory a while back and I've kicked myself for ages for not going. (It was heavily promoted on WBER so I figured I would be at the tip of the tail on the Guassian age distribution for that event. Thanks but no thanks.) Anyhoo, the Mystic Valley Band was fabulous, too. And I loved that they performed in captain hats. I'm guessing they rode the Maid of the Mist before the show!?

After last night's show, I can understand why people packed up their lives and followed the Grateful Dead. I think I could take Wilco in doses large enough to kill.

2 comments:

Suzanne Marie DeWitt said...

Interesting music. I dig the unusual picking.

Pranayama mama said...

me three!