Monday, July 27, 2009

Guernsey on My Mind

Spent the weekend swimming, sunning, riding bikes, playing catch and basketball, buying English vines/sea grasses/Black-eyed Susans, having dinner/drinks at the neighbors’ house, going to 5:00 p.m. hangover mass at St. Louis (sorry mom!) and reading. It was all so much better than the angst-riddled week that I allowed myself to wallow in last week. And the sermon that Father Kevin gave was just what I needed: a gentle reminder that God does, indeed, provide.

I also devoured The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society so quickly that I started re-reading it the moment I finished. It was such a great little book that I didn't want it to end. Ever! The backdrop of the story is that of a London-based writer who inadvertently begins to correspond with a number of Guernsey islanders post WWII German occupation. While the book is written as a compilation of letters, they are written so sweetly and with such charm and personality, that I fell in love not only with all of the characters but also with the island itself.

Having lived briefly on Guernsey's sister island, Jersey, I could visualize the landscape well. And now I am craving a visit. I miss the beach, the dunes, the farms, the narrow roads, the beautiful Jersey cows, the sweet little shops in St. Helier, and my wild and wonderful girlfriend Gail. At $900 RT, however, I'm going to have to make do with daydreaming and waiting for the inevitable movie to come out.

So please, please, please do not let the Hollywood powers that be make it into a bland movie with Kate Winslet and Colin Firth. While they might do in a predictable pinch, I'm begging for a captivating lead actress with charisma and spirit. I want to be whisked away. With that said, maybe I can win the sweepstakes (or you can and bring me!*). Please enter! And, by all means, read the book so we have something to chat about on the plane.

Oh and check out this site. GORGEOUS.



*OMG: I just noticed that the sweeps is not open to residents of NYS. Noooooooooooo! Someone please win for me. Please!

No comments: