Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Mini-weekend: Day 20

Gray skies. Dreary.

Perfect day to clean up a bit. Catch up on other people's blogs. And take Son #1 to his acupuncturist who I now love. He's not the same person I go to but he's really friendly and wonderful with kids. He has stuffed animals in the kids' treatment room and a great Chinese painting of a smiling dragon hanging on the wall -- which is perfect because both Son #1 and I were born in dragon years (i.e., 2000 and 1964). Most importantly, Son #1 enjoys the experience as much as I do.

After the needles are in and he's about to leave the room, the doc says, "Let me know if you start picking up alien signals or radio stations. Especially if it's a station you don't like." It's all very lighthearted and easy going. I just hope that, with time, the Tourette's diminishes. The thought of my gentle-souled little boy going through life with such an audible and visible affliction is enough to make me cry. His hoots, beeps, whistles, coughs, hacks, hand-swipes, blinking and facial grimaces are severe. Thankfully Son #1's pediatrician has given him a referral to the neuromedicine center at the URMC. We go next month.

Until then, we're giving him chamomile drops along with neck and stomach rubs. And offering heaps and heaps of prayers.

5 comments:

DarkWing said...

lol, he's funny too.

good luck with the rest

Unknown said...

Son #1 is in my prayers. I was reading something about a camp for people with Tourette's...can't remember where, but I will find the article. I've known a few people with it, and the tics seemed to really subside as they got older.

Pranayama mama said...

Thanks to both of you!

Leesavee: saw that camp article, too! Bill forwarded it from CNN I think. I'm actually considering it for next year but it's down in GA.

Suzanne Marie DeWitt said...

My son's most interesting tic was flashing his middle fingers randomly. Usually both hands at once. I'm guessing he was about your son's age...

Pranayama mama said...

Oh Lordy. Just last night, Son #1 asked, "Did you know that some kids with Tourette's swear?" I thought, please NO. Don't go there!