Friday, June 26, 2009

We've Got Some Work to Do Now

For a year I did the reverse commute to/from 125th Street and White Plains. That daily train ride had its own subculture. A small group of us got to know each other pretty well. The guys from Starwood. A steel trader. Insurance agents. An IT consultant with whom I split a farm-fresh produce share delivered weekly to a church near our apartment. It was fun.

One day, I sat down next to this guy Jerry and asked, "Did you know that Shaggy was a stoner?" (Obvious to many but the not-to-subtle clues such as constant munchies and lack of intelligence were lost on me as a kid. I had simply never thought about it before.)

He responded, "Where are you when I'm on dates and have nothing to talk about with women?"

The other day, my boss was bemoaning having to go to a family reunion this summer. She thinks she bores people with nothing to talk about but work. And, with her limited scope of the external world, she thinks that I charm our clients with randomness. I think they're just being polite.

Her request, "Can you write a list of topics for me to have in my back pocket that others may find of interest?" Her guidelines: it can't be political or drawn from the pages of People magazine. No Obama. No Jon & Kate.

Sure, I'll get right on that. Do I get a Scooby snack?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

How's this for a random topic: Did you know that all polar bears are left-handed?

uncle wally said...

what about the air speed of an unladen swallow?

Pranayama mama said...

is that why their handwriting is so bad? ohhhhhhh.

african or european?

Suzanne Marie DeWitt said...

I didn't realize he was a stoner until they made the movie(s) a few years ago. Sheesh.