Monday, June 15, 2009

Fiesta de la Gringa

Had dinner with my boss and a client on Friday night at Richardson's Canal House. We had a glass of wine on the patio and watched the boats go by. Later we went into the pub for Kobe Beef burgers. This is the second time I had one of their burgers and the second time I was sick to my stomach afterward. The fat content must rival that of the entire Friendly's menu -- the only other restaurant that makes me ill with every visit. On the plus side, at least they serve alcohol at Richardson's. Next time: salad.

Saturday was spent at swimming, Little League, buying new camouflage crocs for Son #1 and shopping for red, white and blue gifts to celebrate Juana becoming an American citizen! Nothing says "congratulations" like cheap goods made in China. I heart USA socks. A red t-shirt bedazzled with fireworks. Statue of Liberty sunglasses. And three strands (i.e., red, white and blue) of Mardi Gras-like beads.

On Sunday, we had a picnic for Juana and her family on the beach complete with American food: turkey, chips, hotdogs in baked beans, fruit salad, chocolate chip cookies, cherry pie and frozen custard. I even made potato salad!! Me!!

Juana told us that her husband said he would take her to the movies to celebrate her new citizenship and she replied, "I'm a gringa now. I can take myself to the movies."

Finally, last night Son #2 and I went to Walking with Dinosaurs. He loved it. He pre-empted the announcer with every dinosaur that entered the arena (e.g., "Here comes ankylosaurus" or "That's a brachiosaurus") and knew whatever period we were entering when the last ended (i.e., "This should be the cretaceous period"). So I'm thinking that he didn't actually learn anything about dinosaurs that he didn't already know but seeing 40' high reptiles thunder around and attack each other was pretty darned thrilling. My advice to other parents: save your $100 and put it toward Disney. You can get an entire day in a theme park for the same price -- not just an hour-long show. Oh well. At least he'll remember it for . . . what, a week?

No comments: