Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Dasher Dancer Prancer and Vixen

My BFF, Kim, is having a baby this fall so she and I have been talking about girl names a lot recently. With that comes me looking at all names, boy and girl, with a fresh lens.

The lineup on Son #2's Little League team: Casey, Chase, Dante, Emily, Jack, Leo, Mark, Ryan, Simon, Tanner and Whitman.

If this is a representative sample of today's suburban culture, it would appear that kids today have a 25%-35% chance of receiving a traditional name. (My forte: subjective statistics.) And one of the boys I counted as "traditional," Ryan, is Asian so it may or may not be a customary name for his family.

In Whitman's defense, his dad is a talented, local author. I'm guessing they preferred Whitman over Walt or Walter. I can see why; it's a strong name.

The other boy name that keeps popping up lately: Milo. So sweet.

The one name I abhor is Colter. It just reeks of pretentiousness to me. There was a little boy who briefly lived in the house behind us with that name. His family was vegan and his mom had to inspect the box on our popsicles before he was allowed to have one with the other kids. Unfortunately for him, he wasn't given permission. Oh what fun.

Colter's dad, on the other hand, used to sneak out of their house at night and join us at the fire pit. We would hear rustling in the dark and he would magically appear to have a beer or two. I don't blame him -- pretty sure I would sneak out of that house, too. I, however, would forgo the Budweiser and instead shovel cheeseburgers and hotdogs into my mouth.

I just hope that Colter is having fun somewhere reviewing his junior investment portfolio and enjoying the summer with a frosty cold tofudgsicle. Lucky lad.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

No Amanuels or Meserets?

Pranayama mama said...

pretty sure you're the only mom with those names -- at least in this country! for now. maybe you'll start the trend?