Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Mini-weekend: Day 17

First day of summer break. Sunny, high of 86. And WRUR 88.5 just played a Chinchillas tune. Life is good.

Son #1 brought his third grade writing journal home. It's littered throughout with illustrations of Star Wars gun ships and Separatist battles but it's lacking last year's "I'm bored" that was written on page after page of his notebooks. Some of this year's entries are priceless to me.

----------------------

From a first day of school letter: "Dear Miss Kokinda, my letter might not be long enough because my brain doesn't think hard enough . . . "

-----------------------

From a "brain vomit" exercise in September (complete with spelling errors):

Read this! I don't know what to write! I'm stuck, confused, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ?.,#': Whops! This 'tis wierd. Water! Fire! Ahhhh. This is funny, I'm laughing in my mind while writing. Ha ha ha ha hhheeee he ha this reminds me of a song by the Police called de dododo de da da da I'll write the chouras of it. Here it goes: de do do do de dad da da that's all I want to say to you. That's it! Hey! I thought of a chouras for a new song! I'll write it: he ho ho ho he ha ha ha that's the funnyest thing I'll say to you. O.K. I'm done. Now what! (draws some musical notes)

A distant shore can not be ignored
I have to go or else I'll bore

Something's not right; I'm in a ffight,
What's going on with this song, because I can hear a gong

-------------------------

Lone entry:
I feel grateful for how good I am at drawing.

-------------------------

My fears:
1. black bears
2. sharks

-------------------------

Stick figure poem:



----------------------

And my favorite:

The Book of Random Nonsense

(A boy after my own heart.)

2 comments:

Suzanne Marie DeWitt said...

I gotta meet this kid.

DarkWing said...

that's a great journal