Monday, June 8, 2009

Blogarrhea

The NYT ran an article yesterday entitled "Blogs Falling in an Empty Forest" which states that roughly 95% of all blogs have essentially been abandoned. People write blogs with the hope of securing a book deal or, at the very least, generating some comments. Others have made themselves more public in smaller increments through Facebook or Twitter and that's sufficient for them.

I write specifically into the empty forest just to purge. Like swimming or dancing, it just feels good. And, unlike work, it doesn't have to be structured or even succinct. There's no deadline. No imposed storyline. I'm not trying to find my voice. Nothing matters. No boss or client expectations. I don't have to be happy. Nor do I have to be perfect. Most importantly, I don't have to talk about market trends, industry forecasts, positioning, value propositions, strategic plans, succession planning, return on assets, top or bottom line growth, organizational modeling, outsourcing, partnering, scenario modeling, voice of customer, operational efficiencies, venture capital, government grants, tax incentives or geographic expansion. (Unless I want to.)

Instead, I can wax poetic about really important things like my kids, my ever increasing lard ass, wrinkles, bodily fluids, the cocktail du jour, girls night out, yeehaw fashion, redunkulous neighborhood gossip, random moments from my so-called-life, etc.

It's liberating.

And it also explains the dearth of comments and nonexistent book deal. Aldous Huxley I'm not.

2 comments:

uncle wally said...

you get more comments than i do at least.

Unknown said...

And I care about what you say!