Friday, August 24, 2007

Social Etiquette

When I was little, there were very strict, unspoken guidelines regarding how to treat our elders. There were certain things we did not say in front of the neighbors (or you got the snake eye!) and other things we would never dream of saying to our grandparents (or God knows what would happen).

One morning, when my grandfather was visiting, one by one, each of us entered the kitchen to have our cereal. Every kid, upon glancing at the milk carton said something sarcastic like, "What idiot opened the carton from the wrong end?" to which my grandfather responded, "I did." We were so horrified to have insulted him (with what now appears to be a mild infraction but at the time was akin to committing an unmentionable sin), that some lame, dutiful response immediately followed. "Oh, that's okay, Grandpa."

My kids, on the other hand, have taken to repeatedly telling my mom that she is "old and wrinkled." She seems to be taking it well and laughing about it but I want to throttle them. Today they added "weak" to their list. Actually, as someone who regularly helps her pump her gas, I happen to agree with that last modifier!

I just hope my grandkids are kinder to me.

No comments: