Friday, August 17, 2007

Half a Century Later . . .

My mom and dad were married 50 years ago today! My mom's best friend and her husband got married a week later.

On the fourth of July, mom and I went to a beautiful party in Pittsburgh to celebrate her friends' 50 years of marriage. The couple flew in from California to join their sons, daughters, grandchildren, friends from afar, cousins from Ireland, etc. at the fĂȘte. After a fabulous meal at the LeMont , an elegant restaurant with a to-die-for-view of the city, we all watched the fireworks from their floor-to-ceiling windows. And we listened to heartfelt toasts of their love and dedication to one another and to God. It was a wonderful night.

They definitely set the benchmark a little high for us kids.

Since a) my father is no longer with us and b) he and my mom split up 30+ years after they married, we're not celebrating in any major way. But my sister and I, along with hubbies and kids, are planning to take my mom out for a nice meal tomorrow night.

Maybe to Campi's "Where Sandwich is King."

No comments: