Thursday, August 9, 2007

Please Just Go Away

Last year I had a "stalker" who worked in my building and attended my church and was causing significant angst in my life. He finally left me alone, after I told him to stop contacting me, but then called again yesterday out of the blue. I had my coworker tell him I couldn't come to the phone. But then I was disturbed about it all last night.

I was trying to piece together in my head when the relationship turned (in my brain, at least) from avuncular to creepy.

Was it when:
  • He began putting flowers on my windowsill outside (because he told the window washers to chop down my rose bush and I got pissed)?
  • He invited me to dinner parties at his apartment and encouraged me to bring my girlfriends (v. my husband)? (Why, may I ask, would any of us be interested in that??)
  • He asked me if I had any single friends -- and when I told him he was old enough to be their father, he shared that he only liked younger women?
  • He began acting surprised to see me at church (when I sit in the same basic spot week-on-week)? "Oh hi! What are you doing here?" WTF?
  • He began telling complete strangers at church that he was helping me through marriage issues (puhlease)?
  • He began sitting next to me in church, crying and telling me how lonely he was?
  • He lured me into the boiler room before Mother's Day to give me flowers -- and he had approximately 12 other bouquets to give to other prey (ew)?
  • I heard he got fired due to the lady across the hall telling the management company that she was getting a restraining order?
  • I received an e-card after I told him to stop contacting me?
I kept telling him that he needed counseling and he insisted that he didn't. The final straw came when he told me that he was getting involved in women's abortion counseling. OMG! Talk about preying on women at their weakest moments. My girlfriends and I finally told the church leaders what we felt was going on. Needless to say, after being confronted, he shifted churches.

So, why is he calling me now? Last night, I was praying for help to know what to say if a) he calls back and b) I pick up. It's like the old saying, "don't go away mad; just go away."

Then my freakish brain begins to wonder if there is any real danger or if I'm perhaps overreacting . . .

No comments: