Thursday, November 12, 2009

God Save the Queen

A friend of the hubby posted on his Facebook page last night a listing of many of the bands he loved in the 80s including the B52s, Pretenders, Ramones, and so on. The funny thing: He included Dokken. Dokken, you ask? (Well, I ask. Maybe you ask?)

My mom and I had the pleasure of seeing Dokken one night many moons ago. We had driven to Pittsburgh for the wedding of my mom's best friend's son. The reception took place on a chartered dinner cruise up the famed three rivers (i.e., the Allegheny, Monongahela and Ohio -- thank you Google). The pier was chock full of bizarre-looking people that could have been your stereotypical Aunt Mildred. My mom would pose me next to women who were wearing powder blue lamé dresses, matching eye shadow and stiff, bouffant hairdos just so she could take their pictures without looking too obvious. These women were clearly destined for another boat so timing was of the essence.

After a very nice dinner, the reception kicked into full gear with a DJ flown in from Akron (i.e., a friend of the groom's family). Dancing mayhem ensued including a crowd pleasing slam dance to Ian Hunter's Cleveland Rocks, of course. The whole night felt somewhat like the scene in Sid & Nancy when the Sex Pistols were cruising down the Thames on a river boat playing God Save the Queen and the British police stormed the boat and arrested them. For me, it was the perfect reception. My mom, on the other hand, was immensely grateful when the boat docked.

Little did we know that a surprise was waiting for us. Dokken was playing a free concert in the adjoining festival tent that night so we stopped by. Yeah, me and my mom in our wedding garb amidst a gazillion bikers donning leather vests. Who looks more bizarre now? We only stayed for a few minutes because the music was intolerable and even I had had enough. Apparently, we weren't alone.

The review in the Pittsburgh paper the next day that went something like this, "If you like monosyllabic grunts, then this was the show for you." Well stated!

I'd much rather have seen this show:

3 comments:

uncle wally said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QY2754rt40

Pranayama mama said...

"I'm a hunter searching for love on these lonely streets again." I feel like my grandfather when I say the following but he might have better luck with the chicks if he cut his hair.

Unlike my grandfather, however, I'm saying that from a safe, Internet distance vs. within ear shot of blue haired punks in Washington Square Park.

uncle wally said...

rokken with dokken is all i'm saying.