Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Mini-weekend: Day 14

Sunshine. High in the mid-80s. What's not to like?

Instead of accomplishing anything constructive today, I took the opportunity to read the book play written by Stuart Brown, M.D. For someone seeking greater happiness in life, I'm a big proponent of elevating the status of play in our culture.

From a "play personality" perspective, I clearly belong in the "explorer" category. Not only do I love to travel, even if it's just shuttling the kids to D.C. for the weekend, I also enjoy seeking new perspectives in myself. This possibly explains why my bible study is so important to me, why I'm such an avid reader and why, stress levels aside, I enjoy the variety and constant learning found in management consulting. It also explains why I'm willing to engage in many of the activities my kids ask me to do. Normally, I wouldn't be the first to sign up for ice skating . . .

So how can I proactively bring more play into my daily life? I need to pay attention to the times when I'm so lost in an activity that I lose track of time -- and then I need to actively seek more of those activities. Writing, swimming, painting, dancing, reading, hanging with the family and going out with girlfriends. Upon brief reflection, however, I think I'm doing a pretty good job of play already!

No wonder my house is such a mess.

When the working day is done
Oh girls they wanna have fun
Oh girls just wanna have fun!

No comments: