Thursday, May 21, 2009

Chasing After the Wind

Last night, Son #1 was positioning his army men and tanks all over the family room floor and breathlessly chattering nonstop about squadrons, reconnaissance teams and surveillance missions. He even had a few men stationed on the mantle that I noticed as we headed off to bed. Snipers, he informed me.

In the midst of all of this, he noticed the book that I blogged about yesterday.

Son #1: Mama, you don't need to read a book about play. Just get down on the floor with me and think strategically.

Once again, trumped by a nine year old.

Why is this topic of happiness so interesting to me? Simply because I'm a chronic malcontent?

According to recently published research that my loving brother shared with me: I am not alone. Women's happiness has declined over the past 35 years both absolutely and relative to men. In other words, men may have been the primary beneficiaries of the women's movement! Go figure.

To make matters worse, it's all women. Married and single. Career women and homemakers. Childless women, women with families and single parents. All educational groups. All ages. All races (where known). It's universal: women are less satisfied with their family's financial situation, have become increasingly dissatisfied with the amount of available free time, feel decreased social cohesion, and are facing increased anxiety and neuroticism.

Why? Possibly because even though women have greater professional opportunities, we still carry the emotional burden for our families on top of it all. Or because we have so many outlets outside the home, we cannot be happy across all facets of our lives. Maybe our expectations grew and our lives are not measuring up.

Sound familiar? All I know is that I'm on a personal mission to end the misery and I don't think the antidote is found anywhere but within myself. And if I find in myself a desire that this world cannot satiate, I can only conclude that I was made for another world.

2 comments:

KevinOn7 said...

I'm guessing that women started with a surfeit of happiness, gained from making men miserable (see: schadenfreude). Over the years, their focus has shifted inwards, leaving men happier and themselves stewing in misery. Perhaps, since they're working, they aren't sitting around with a glass of wine (for medicinal purposes only, of course) kvetching about their no-good, lazy, rotten men...

Pranayama mama said...

you're probably right. my girlfriends and i would never sit around drinking wine and complaining about our husbands . . .