Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Mini-weekend: Day 6

So much to do and not doing any of it -- thereby defeating the purpose of the mini-weekend?

Thankfully, I did go to my acupuncturist today. It's so relaxing, I could spend a week there. A few sessions ago she basically stated that my body was lacking energy across all vital functions. To quote Aerosmith, my get-up-and-go must have got up and went. Today, I was full of life again. Nothing like a great vacation and a mid-week day off to provide joie de vivre.

For lunch: Juan and Maria's Empanada Stop. I love a good hole-in-the-wall with freshly made comfort food. I ordered the beef and onion empanada with a side of rice, beans and pork. They're not "to die for" delicacies by any stretch of the imagination but rather a fun diversion from the winter doledrums. And their homemade sauces, like the Spicy Spanish Mayonnaise, are delicious. The best part is that Juan and Maria fawn over every customer. Juan was telling us about his expansion and franchising plans (i.e., start local but grow aggressively from the Monroe County core) and I couldn't help but wonder if the experience will be as warm and heartening if some random dude named Bob, who doesn't speak a lick of Espanol, is preparing and serving the dishes in a squeaky clean, satellite, mall location. When all is said and done, it's not wholly about the food. Time will tell.

Next: unpack my suitcase (as it's been four days since we returned) or read a magazine? I feel guilt descending.

No comments: