Friday, March 6, 2009

Sign Sign Everywhere a Sign

I have two clients with very different signage adorning the parking spaces by their respective front doors:
  • Client #1: "Our customers come first" (four spaces/identical signs)

  • Client #2: "Parking reserved for the CEO" (three spaces/signs for Founder, CEO, President)
In one of the latter parking spaces, a giant black Cadillac Esplanade is parked. In the space next to it, a Mercedes.

Where would you rather work?

Unless everyone at client #2 is making heaps of money and is being treated exceptionally well, I think the signs signal, at the very least, a ridiculous, internal pecking order. I'm not sure I would want to put in the requisite hours in order to pad someone else's wallet especially if the effort comes with an extra dash of hubris.

Thanks but no thanks.

3 comments:

Suzanne Marie DeWitt said...

Also, what does it tell the clients who walk by those cars, in those spaces? From whom are these people getting rich enough to afford them?

KevinOn7 said...

Not to cast stones at your current employment situation, but the private equity guys I used to work with had a rule of thumb: never buy a company with someone's (the founder's) name on the door.

Pranayama mama said...

interesting! i'll have to tell my boss that. i've also been told that companies highlighted in the rochester business journal and success thereafter are inversely correlated. i cannot confirm its validity.

and re: what does it tell the clients, my boss would agree. she actually asked me during my interview what kind of car i drive and was pleased when i said "jetta." she also asked what magazines i read to which i responded, "yoga journal." i think it negated the positive vibe from the first question.