Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Just Waiting on a Friend

There's a girl standing on the corner of East and University with a handwritten sign asking for money. She's wearing jeans, Converse sneakers, a knee-length black raincoat, big black sunglasses and a cute little black and white polka dotted kerchief/doo-rag.

She reminds me of me somehow. Pre-suits. Pre-kids. Or maybe just the weekend version of myself (sans sign).

I want to pull over and ask her what happened in her life. Simply down on her luck? Drug addiction? MBA loans too much to handle? Former AIG employee?

I also wonder if her parents are alive. They would probably be heartbroken to see her. I'm heartbroken to see her.

2 comments:

Suzanne Marie DeWitt said...

Was it raining? I'm picturing her sunglasses in the rain...

Pranayama mama said...

Nope. It was sunny yesterday early afternoon. I looked for her again later but she was gone.