Monday, August 18, 2008

Vintageous

My new favorite site: Vintageous! Chock full of evening gowns and cocktail dresses from the 40s, 50s and 60s.

Seriously, at less than $300, what bride wouldn't look fabulous in this?



Where was this site when I was getting married? Instead, in those pre-Vera Wang days, all of the dresses had gigantic bows, puffy sleeves, huge trains, etc. After countless failed efforts at finding reasonable dresses, the saleswoman at a local bridal store actually called my roommate Bae and me "the most conservative girls she had ever met." We preferred to think of ourselves as tasteful.

When my dress maker fell asleep on the job, I ended up buying a somewhat more-girly-than-myself number off the rack at the last minute but it had a sweet tulle skirt like the image above with daisies on it. Not all bad except that I had to have the sequins removed -- which the girl in the dressing room next to mine asked to have sewn onto her dress. Knock yourself out, they're all yours! (Sight unseen, I bet she had the proverbial big bangs that were popular in those days.)

Yet, when I picked the dress up, a number of sequins were still on it. Why? Were they load bearing? Nope, the tailor at the store simply couldn't imagine that I really wanted them all removed. Just unfathomable.

Whatever.

1 comment:

Suzanne Marie DeWitt said...

Love this site! The eyeware is great. I have a few little numbers from the 40s and 50s that I should consider selling!