Monday, August 11, 2008

The New Food Pyramid

When I was little, we were allowed to pick out one box of sugar cereal as a big treat on our birthdays. Meanwhile, my mom (the nutritionist) stashed Hershey’s kisses in her bedroom. I didn’t find out for years.

My dad, on the other hand, would buy Ho Hos for us at the grocery store and attempt to hide them so my mom wouldn’t find out.

With her grandkids, the rules have become much more relaxed.

A few weeks ago, “Did you know that Grannie lets us drink Coke for breakfast?”

Breakfast at Grannie’s home this past Saturday morning: bacon, ice cream and Skittles.

Can’t be any worse than PopTarts at our house – just more fun. Now if they can just convince her to invest in the $400 Wii Fit, they’ll never want to come home.

Hence the threatening note to Grannie from Son #2, “By a Wii or elese” (sic).

Today's tactics seem much more menacing than they were when I was younger, no? We employed more guilt during negotiations than fear. We utilized the explicit, "If you loved me, you would buy me a pony" comment or its implied lack-of-love equivalent, "All of my friends are allowed to have phones in their rooms."

So far, none of these approaches appears to work. I'm just grateful that my mom continues to love and take care of them even though their parents apparently haven't taught them any manners . . .

2 comments:

KevinOn7 said...

I always thought that the four basic food groups (pre-dating the "pyramid") were: salt, sugar, fat and alcohol. With the change to a pyramid, it's not immediately obvious which of those is at the apex and which forms the base.

Pranayama mama said...

given that a margarita has both alcohol and sugar -- with salt on the rim -- and our bodies will subsequently convert these ingredients to fat if we just drink a lot and sit on the couch, i think we can simply change that confusing pyramid to the shape of a cocktail glass and solve everything.