Thursday, June 5, 2008

Ranger Rick I'm Not

Yesterday afternoon I was momentarily alarmed as I looked out my window at work and thought there was a bird picking on another bird.

Turns out that the "aggressor" was merely following this little bird around while the little bird tipped its beak into the lawn, pulled out bugs and fed them to him. This bird benevolence continued for quite a while -- and then another bird came along and the little bird fed it every once in a while, too.

I didn't know that birds took care of each other like this. Is this uncommon? Was one bird old and needed tending to? He seemed well enough to me. Is there a rare form of bird indentured servitude that I witnessed? Won't the little bird go hungry if it's so busy taking care of the others?

Where is Darwin when you need him?

No comments: