Friday, June 13, 2008

Festivate & Rejoicify

A client/girlfriend took me to see Wicked last night. Given that I usually loathe musicals, I had zero desire to go but we ended up having such a great time!

Not only does it make the back story to the Wizard of Oz somehow interesting and compelling (how the witches became friends in school, how the Wicked Witch of the West became "bad," etc.) it's done in an eccentric and, at times, fairly hilarious fashion. Glinda, the good witch, really embodies the vacuous, over-the-top blond popular girl (a la Alicia Silverstone in Clueless) trying to make over her green friend who is, in actuality, very sweet.

The most amazing part for me, however, was the crowd's reaction. I felt like I was at a Beatles concert. I have never heard so many people go wild -- especially during a musical. What the . . . ?

The only things that would get me to go absolutely bananas like that might be winning the lottery or perhaps running into Wham! after a long day of drinking margaritas with my girlfriends.

No comments: