Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Lighten up Francis

I was telling my nephew last week, who after his freshman year in college has not yet firmly decided on his primary course of study, not to sweat it. Why add so much pressure to "get it right" when you're young given that life -- in and out of school -- is a path of learning?

When I was a senior in college and graduating with the presumably useless B.A. in English, I called my mom weeping. I was grappling with some serious angst about my inability to define myself when my girlfriends were going off to medical school or jobs as graphic designers and engineers. "What am I going to do with my life?" I sobbed.

Her response, "Don't worry about it. I'm 50 and I still have no idea what I want to do either."

Although it may sound dismissive, they were the most loving and accepting words I had ever heard. And they immediately took the pressure off; I didn't need to have clarity right then and there.

What I didn't realize until much later was the profound nature of my mom's statement either. That 22 years later (and probably for the rest of my life) I would still be in the process of defining myself, trying to determine what talents I have been given (!) and searching for answers regarding what's next.

Right now, I feel confident that I am exactly where I need to be. And instead of forging my way into the next experience blindly and later assessing the collateral damage, I'm waiting for divine inspiration (intervention?) to guide my way.

You never know what God has up his sleeve. I'll probably become America's Next Top Model.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd totally vote for you on America's Next Top Model, but I'm not holding out much hope that they will actually ask me to be a judge.

Pranayama mama said...

i would venture to say that the likelihood of you being a judge is higher than for me becoming a contestant; however, the two taking place simultaneously?

Anonymous said...

I keep waiting for that divine intervention right now too. I need to be pointed in a direction, stay in my career/job I have done for 23 years or do something else. I'm stuck. America's Next Top Model sounds pretty cool, I would just have to loose about 40 pounds and knock the clock back 20 years. Wish me luck.
XOXO

Pranayama mama said...

i do wish you luck! :) as tom petty said, the waiting is the hardest part