Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Birthday Meltdown

Today is Son #1's eighth birthday! Holy moly! Happy birthday dude.

Last night, I came home to have dinner with the family (as most normal parents do) and put the kids to bed before going back to work until 2:15 a.m.

Son #1 wouldn't fall asleep and I finally had to say, "Hey birthday boy, I have to get to work so that I'm not there all night long. But just think, next time I see you, you'll be eight!!!"

Bad idea.

He burst into tears exclaiming, "I don't want anything to change. I don't want to turn eight. I didn't accomplish what I wanted to accomplish for seven yet."

(Huh?)

"What did you want to accomplish for seven?"

"Lot's of things. I had goals for seven."

OMG. Since when? This is the kid that prefers video games and watching Naruto over pretty much everything else except perhaps chess. The kid who would prefer to watch Iron Chef and learn how to cook than play outside. The kid who loves to swim but can't be bothered to learn any proper strokes. The kid who, at seven, refused to learn to ride his bike until almost the last day of the summer. What goals?

After much hugging and cajoling, I got him to calm down and go back to his room. And there, hanging in a bag on his door, were the parts of one of his unfinished (or should I say "un-started"?) projects: making a Webkinz wishing well out of a paper towel roll, string, etc.

Let the waterworks begin anew. "That was one of my goals. I wanted to make that when I was seven and now it's too late!" Yes, little man, it is.

Now, thanks to Outlook and a husband who had to deal with additional sadness after I left for work last night, I now have a 9:00 a.m. "craft date" with my son scheduled and confirmed on my calendar for Saturday morning. And Son #1 and I agreed that we would begin a list of "Things I Want to Accomplish While I'm Eight" to ensure all of his goals are met this year.

I guess the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.

No comments: