Thursday, May 1, 2008

Customer Service #1

I stopped at the Saks Off 5th at the Niagara Falls Outlet Mall on the way home from a client last night to see if I could find a cute little black dress for an upcoming fund raising event. Nothing looked great on me but two inexpensive dresses -- one Calvin Klein and the other BCBG -- were okay. Just okay.

I asked the woman manning the dressing room what the return policy was: 30 days. "Bummer, I won't be back here until June 4."

She immediately got on the phone to her manager, told her that I cannot return to the store within 30 days and the manager told her that it's okay, she'll authorize it at the register and give me a couple days of flexibility.

Wow. That's customer service!

I went out to buy the dresses (so I can show them to my hubby, mom and sis to get feedback) and lo and behold, realized I had missed a big section of the store. I kept shopping, returned to the dressing room to try on the entire store's worth of little black dresses and, of course, looked heinous in all of them.

Needless to say, an hour later I headed back to the register with my original two frocks and . . . you guessed it, no one knew what I was talking about. "Our management would never agree to that." "Our policy is written; we cannot extend it."

To quote the Eagles, (I'm) "afraid it's all been wasted time."

Late to dinner with my girlfriends for naught. But spared from spending money on something frivolous that accentuates my lumpy body? Yes.

No comments: