Friday, April 4, 2008

Better than the Betty

My brother and his family just got back from a fabulous vacation at La Quinta Resort & Club outside of Palm Springs.



As beautiful as it appears, I have to question: Is 41 pools and 53 hot spas enough? Gosh, what on earth would we do all day long? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Sounds soooo good to me on this chilly, drab day.

The only time I have ever been in that area was for a regional sales meeting when I worked at American Express which took place at the Hyatt Grand Champions Resort in Indian Wells. (No, contrary to public opinion, I haven't been to the Betty Ford Clinic -- yet.) Because we played marginally instrumental roles in facilitating the sales meetings that year, a co-worker and I were placed (unbeknownst to us until we arrived) in our own, side-by-side, two bedroom villas complete with fireplaces, private backyards and spas. Apparently the hotel was filled to capacity and we were the primary recipients of the luxurious benefit. Who am I to complain?

When I arrived, I called the hubby to let him know I was safe and sound. During our call, I heard a knock so I put the phone down and answered the door. It was Charles, my butler (!), checking in to see if there was anything I needed. Nope! I think I'm okay!

When I got back to the phone, my ever-so-lovely husband, who overheard the brief conversation, put the phone up to his butt and proceeded to let one rip. What the . . ? His response, "I just wanted to remind you of what you were coming home to." Yeah, sadly that realization has never escaped me!

A moment later, Monique came to get me for dinner and noticed that I had a piece of chocolate on each pillow across my beds. She joked with her butler on the way out the door, "Hey, why don't I have chocolate on my pillows"? He appeared to be just as surprised as she was and apologized profusely.

Upon arriving back later that evening, she came rushing into my villa, "You HAVE to come see this." Her butler had taken hundreds of pieces of chocolate and placed them roughly an inch apart from one another completely covering her beds. She was ecstatic.

Now that's what I call service.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Clearly, I need a butler. However, I am more likely to get what Bill gave you over the phone.

Pranayama mama said...

Yes, the gift that keeps on giving.

KevinOn7 said...

The weird thing about LaQuinta was all the people who brought their dogs to the resort. Thank god we didn't have fleas in the room or dogs in the pool. And, the grass was free of dog poo. Must have been the fact that they have half of Mexico City working there as gardeners and maids.