Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Mots D'Heures: Gousses, Rames

In yesterday's blog, I wrote, "Time to put everything back together again" which reminded me of poor little Humpty Dumpty. Humpty Dumpty, in turn, reminded me of an English-to-French homophonic translation that my languages teacher in High School shared with our class and I've never forgotten.

Un petit d'un petit
S'étonne aux Halles
Un petit d'un petit
Ah! degrés te fallent
Indolent qui ne sort cesse
Indolent qui ne se mène
Qu'importe un petit d'un petit
Tout Gai de Reguennes

This, in turn, reminded me of a small, weathered, paperback collection of nursery rhymes that my dad had when I was young. It contained a German homophonic translation of Little Bo Peep that went something like "Leiter Bo Piepen bin losen der schepen."

I wonder what ever happened to that little book? Even Google, the font of all knowledge, has no such entry. A one-of-a-kind family *heirloom* gone missing! I'm sure it would bring at least $1 on the Antiques Roadshow or Pawn Stars and would fall in the "at that nominal value, I think I'll hold onto it" category.

Somehow methinks it ended up in a giant dumpster never to be seen again.

If wishes were horses.

No comments: