Wednesday, March 10, 2010

We're Through Being Cool

Just over a year ago, my girlfriend Margaret and I went in search of awesome cupcakes in NYC. We ended up at Magnolia Bakery one afternoon where I bought my mom a cute I cupcake NY t-shirt. Fun.

I hadn’t really thought about it much again until this week. As I mentioned in my post two days ago, a local blogger is searching for the best cupcake in Rochester. Fun again!

Yesterday, my girlfriend wrote a cute yet snarky comment about cupcakes becoming the “it” dessert on her FB page. Cupcakes again? I defended the otherwise helpless cupcakes and jokingly stated that I didn’t realize they were the “it” dessert until recently.

In response, one of her friends wrote: The cupcake has been the “it” dessert for awhile now, and its “itness” is fading.

OMG. Has it come to this?

Instead of dealing with obnoxious emo-cutting-edge-music-mega-dumbass comments like “I listened to Chali 2na way before they were played on air” or “I discovered so-and-so before they even had a recording contract,” we now have to contend with hipsters claiming that cupcakes are on their way out after, I'm guessing, a hundred plus years? What’s next: that bacon is also so last year?

They’re only cupcakes people. Cupcakes. If loving them is wrong, I don’t wanna be right.

SeƱor uber-trendy can go have his pain perdu (i.e., French toast for elitists) or perhaps some vegan, artisan chocolates. I’ll have my lard-laden cupcakes with sprinkles, thanks.

4 comments:

uncle wally said...

Well, David Byrne once referred to Rochester as a "place where trends come to die."

Karley Ziegler Mott said...

I am *almost* cupcaked out after this cupcake challenge, LOL.

I am shocked about how SERIOUSLY people have been taking a fun little blog contest. I had one person send 14--literally 14--emails to me over giving a less than stellar review to cupcakes I tasted a couple weeks ago.

People are much more passionate about these than I had ever imagined.

Today I had an owner of a cupcake bakery email me that I must have been friends with the winner to choose it. Seriously?

Oh well, on to the next challenge--ice cream. Just kidding!

Pranayama mama said...

I just read an article, wish I could remember where, about a bookstore owner who read a bunch of bad reviews (presumably anonymous) about her store on Yelp! and went after one of her customers at his house. I think she actually got arrested. It doesn't pay to review things -- even when the review is positive in your case. People are crazy!

Citygirl said...

Uncle Wally, I beg to differ. I live where music, fashion and everything else goes to die.

What will replace cupcakes?