Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Great Cupcake Chase

I agreed to bring cupcakes to my small group tonight to celebrate a girlfriend's birthday. Not at all my suggestion; however, with Karley at Chic and Green roaming our little city in search of the best(est) cupcake ever, the craving for cupcakes has definitely been haunting me for days.

Stop #1 last night on the way back to work for a client: Sugar Mountain Bake Shoppe. D'oh! Ye olde shoppe sadly closed on Monday.

Stop #2 this a.m. after coffee with a client: Dolce Cupcakery. D'oh! Not open until 10:00 a.m. Not quite as sad as my mom bought a big box of these for my birthday last December and they were dry as a bone. Decidedly gorgeous but not the moist, sweet life, taste explosion one would hope for in a shop that specializes in cupcakes. And it's hard to frame cupcakes.

Stop #3 at noon today: Goodness Cakes. D'oh! Closed on Tuesday.

Call #1 (finally thinking ahead for obvious reasons): The Little Bakery. D'oh! I kid you not when I tell you, the woman over the phone just said, "We have never run out of cupcakes before but a man just came in and bought 50." I asked, "Any idea where he was going?" and she laughed. "You planning to chase him down?" Maybe . . .

Finally, through calls #2 and #3, I found the elusive cupcake hiding places:  The Baker Street Bakery (which is actually windin' your way down on Park Ave.) and Leo's Bakery. Since both close at 6:00 p.m., Baker Street it is. Proximity is key.

I'm leaving (for) there too soon, leaving there too soon. 

No comments: