Wednesday, March 24, 2010

On Language

When we were little, my brother Markie sat at the end of the kitchen table during dinner underneath the rotary phone that was mounted on the wall. Almost nightly the phone would ring, it would be for him (most likely a call from Dave next door), Mark would answer and respond, "Reetin."

Definition: I can't talk with you right now, we're eating.

Today, Son #2 is filled with such linguistic slurrings such as "Q," "Shy" and "Ki."

Definition of Q: A request being made of my time/attention/money
Usage: Q play basketball with me? Q buy this book for me?

Definition of shy: A request for assistance in reasoning
Usage: Shy go ride my bike? What shy do?

Definition of Ki: A request for permission
Usage: Ki have a sleepover? Ki go to the playground with Connor?

I've also been noticing lately that my coworker Jennifer truncates the "g" off most of her words: workin, eatin, sleepin. And my boss says comp'ny.

What do I do? Apparently, when I don't hear someone fully, instead of asking him/her to restate it politely as in, "pardon?" I ask, "Hey?" Drives the hubby crazy! You should try it sometime.

2 comments:

Citygirl said...

Retard: Leaving a job.

Or my favorite that I hear frequently out here, "hunnard"--the number that follows ninety-nine

Pranayama mama said...

You just made me laugh my coffee out of my nose!!