Thursday, April 23, 2009

Mini-weekend: Day 11

It's cold and windy today yet this weekend is supposed to be 80+ degrees and sunny. I hear the hammock calling my name!

While on the topic of bizarre fluctuations, I ran across this little tidbit below as I was doing a bit o' research yesterday on the NYS Economic Development budget. One of the "major initiatives" that NYS is planning to close the budget gap is to reduce tourism and marketing funding.

Funding for tourism and marketing programs, including “I Love New York” Tourism, Local Tourism Matching Grants, International Trade, Explore New York and Business Marketing will be reduced or eliminated. Even after these actions, $17 million will be available to support various tourism and marketing programs, such as “I Love NY” Tourism Advertising, Local Tourism Matching Grants and International Trade.

So let me get this straight: we're cutting funding for tourism programs like "I Love NY" in order to ensure that money is available for tourism programs like "I Love NY"? Is there such a thing as peek-a-boo funding? Now you see it/now you don't?

I Love NY. I Love NY not. I Love NY. I Love NY not. I Love NY. I Love NY not. I Love NY. I Love NY not. I Love NY. I Love NY not. I Love NY.

In related news: Virginia is still for losers. It's so embarrassing to have a typo in your slogan, no?

No comments: