Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Killing Me Softly

I just finished reading Drinking Problems at the Fountain of Youth. Ugh. The topic of aging is SO blinkin' depressing. Especially when (to misquote Roberta Flack or Lauryn Hill depending on your age-related frame of reference) every single chapter is "singing my life with her words." Yet, somehow, Beth Teitell's writing style makes the read enjoyable. Who else shares in gory detail fun-filled stories such as her morning microdermabrasing-cleansing-clarifying-restoring-reversing-rejuvenating-regenerating-refining-replenishing-renewing-brightening-tightening-toning-lifting-lightening-hydrating-protecting-defending-defining-defying-correcting-concealing-smoothing-plumping-minimizing routine?

To make matters worse: I'm still a soap and water girl who uses an inexpensive moisturizer. This may explain a lot. Argh.

Here are a few of the many tidbits that made me laugh (nervously):
  • Age is the new fat
  • Fighting wrinkles is like gambling; the house always wins
  • Every wrinkle your friend freezes, every jowl she tightens, every crease she plumps, only throws your own imperfections into greater relief
  • The dearth of stores called "Forever 51" is sort of a tip-off (when shedding light on our lack of fashion options)
So if you want to read a witty set of essays on botox, facelifts, posture, clothing, pores, wrinkles, crows feet, hair color, makeup and how to look "natural" in three hours or less, this may be the book for you. For me, it was like passing a trainwreck: I wanted to turn away but I couldn't.

With that, I came across a quote from Paul McCartney yesterday that made me feel better. "Imagination grows by exercise, and contrary to common belief, is more powerful in the mature than in the young."

Sure I'm getting droopy but maybe, just maybe, my creativity will soar. I'll gladly take that over looking 21 forever.

5 comments:

Suzanne Marie DeWitt said...

"I'm still a soap and water girl who uses an inexpensive moisturizer."

Me too until about a year ago when my skin decided I needed to work on humility. Now anti-aging potions are a standard entry on my gift wish lists.

Pranayama mama said...

I want an acupuncture face lift!

KevinOn7 said...

Why look 21 when you can act it?

KevinOn7 said...

By the way, when I first read the title of the book, I thought it was going to be a memoir about underage drinking. Up your alley too, no?

Pranayama mama said...

I did just read an underage drinking memoir, entitled Smashed: Story of a Drunken Girlhood, and written by an SU grad. (Coincidence?) I thought it would be a page turner but it was drivel. It takes real talent to turn a lifetime of binge drinking into a boring epic!