Thursday, January 29, 2009

Rude Behavior

My boss took a call from her daughter yesterday while we were meeting and promptly said, "I cannot talk right now; I'll call you back tonight." I appreciate the minimal interruption given we have limited time together.

When I worked at Amex, one of my bosses used to take calls from his wife and little kids in the middle of meetings and actually carry on lengthy conversations with them about nothing (e.g., "What did you do in preschool today, Jack?") while we sat there. Obnoxious. Disrespectful. Horrific waste of time. Standard for him.

It drove my coworker Marsha, who sat right outside his office, absolutely bonkers. So, whenever I was in a meeting with him, Marsha took to dialing "9" to get an outside line (to avoid being ID'd) and called him. The phone would ring, he would pick up, she would hang up and he would comment, "I keep getting hang-ups lately." Oh really?

Made me smile.

No comments: